Anexplo/Genotoul proposes a continuum of activities from the creation, functional exploration and phenotypic characterization (ex vivo and in vivo) to the archiving of rodent pathophysiology models. Anexplo also offers environments suitable for the exploration of pathophysiology of sheep, cattle, lagomorphs (rabbits) and birds (poles, ducks and turkeys). These integrated study models provide a better understanding of physiology and pathological dysfunctions in the fields of cancer, metabolic, cardiovascular, immunological and infectious diseases and genetics.
Two of the Anexplo platforms are partners of CELPHEDIA: US006 Inserm/ CREFRE (Centre Régional d'Exploration Fonctionnelle et Ressources Expérimentales) and IPBS/CNRS (Institut de Pharmacologie et de Biologie Structurale) :
- Zootechnics : US006/CREFRE (Langlade, Rangueil & Purpan sites), IPBS
- Transgenesis and Cryopreservation/decontamination : US006/CREFRE
- Small animal imaging: US006/CREFRE (Langlade, Rangueil & Purpan), IPBS
- Phenotyping: US006/CREFRE
- Microsurgery: US006/CREFRE
- Histopathology: US006/CREFRE
The activities developed within the platform are:
- Zootechnics: breeding and housing of rodents in biosafety levels BSL1, BSL2 and BSL3, of sheep, cattle, lagomorphs (rabbit) and birds (poles, ducks and turkeys). Implementation of experimental protocols on these different animal models in biosafety levels 1,2 and 3
- Transgenesis/Cryopreservation/Decontamination: creation by additive transgenesis, archiving, exchange and decontamination of genetically modified mouse and rat lines, development of genetically modified aquatic models
- Experimental microsurgery: production of surgical models in mice and rats
- Functional exploration: haematological, biochemical, in vivo and ex vivo metabolic analyses, non-invasive imaging (ultrasound, NMR) and biphotonic intravital imaging
- Experimental histopathology
Anexplo's objectives and missions are:
- State-of-the-art services in the field of transgenesis, zootechnics and functional exploration of animal models, in particular with non-invasive imaging tools for small animals: CCD cameras (bioluminescence/ fluorescence), nanoSpect/CT, microTEP/CT and soon an MRI
- Implementation of experimental procedures in cancerology and availability of 7 specialized laboratories of biosafety level BSL2 and BSL3, equipped with imaging (bioluminescence/ fluorescence), surgery rooms with volatile anaesthesia, means of phenotypic characterization of immunodeficient mouse models, sensitization of murine tumours to radiotherapy and vectorized internal radiotherapy
- Methodological and scientific R & D in the fields of activities developed: see "R&D"
- Training: see "training"
- Participation in therapeutic innovation through the validation of predictive animal models and transfer of know-how to regional biotechnology companies ("humanized models", transgenic models)
- Academic and private collaborations, national and/or European
The quality approach implemented within the platform has resulted in ISO 9001:2008 certification from June 2010 to June 2015 (Lloyd's RegisterQuality Assurance France S. A. S.), which is currently being renewed. Anexplo is IBiSA certified.
- Production of experimental resources: breeding of genetically modified mouse and rat lines
- Provision of scientific equipment for carrying out experimental procedures in different biosafety level facilities (BSL1, 2 and 3)
- Provision of animal units adapted to the topic of the scientific projects and to animal health status used: SOPF (Specific and Opportunistic Pathogen Free), EOPS (Exempt of Specific Pathogenic Organisms), conventional and multipathogenic infectious animal units.
- Provision of housing conditions and scientific equipment for carrying out experimental procedures in biosafety confinement BSL 1,2 and 3 for sheep, cattle, lagomorphs (rabbit) and birds (poles, ducks and turkeys).
- Study of regulatory sequences (promoters, introns) with reporter genes
- Experimental tools: mouse expressing recombinase cre for conditional disabilities
- Expressions in a tissue-specific manner
- Animal models of human pathologies (overexpression of oncogenes, proteins involved in epidermal homeostasis, energy metabolism proteins or proteins involved in the development of cardiac pathologies and lipid metabolism enzymes)
- Overexpression of a growth hormone mutated receptor, immunological models
- Invalidity corrections
- ES cell injection for the creation of KO (Knock Out) or KI (Knock In) models
Transfer and decontamination of mouse lines
- Transgenic mouse lines are introduced by embryo transfer in the EOPS and/or SOPF zootechnical services in order to minimise the risk of contamination: either under frozen embryos from "embryos libraries"or from fresh embryos obtained in the traditional way or by in vitro fertilisation.
- Cryopreservation of embryos obtained by natural mating or in vitro fertilization and archived on different inbreeding genetic bases (C57Bl/6, FVB, BALB/c, SV 129, DBA2, CBA) and hybrids or by cryopreservation of gametes (sperm) and archiving on FVB and F1 B6xCBA bases.
- Production of surgical models in mice and rats for cardiac, aortic, carotid and renal pathologies, etc...
- In vivo analyses: body composition-EchoMRI, indirect calorimetry associated or not with metabolism cages, physical exercise (wheel or Treadmills) or spontaneous activity (Actimeters)
- Ex vivo analyses: cytological, hematological, biochemical and multiparametric assays (cytokines, growth promoters, chemokines, adipokines, adhesion molecules, proteases, angiogenesis, biomarkers, cardiac markers, renal markers, diabetes markers, cancer markers, cell signaling
- Implementation of brain surgery conditions (stereotactic implantation of cannulas)
- Non-Invasive exploration: provision of equipment and/or support for irradiation, microangiography and non-invasive imaging of the small animal: high-frequency ultrasound imaging (Vevo 2100), gamma imager, NanoSpect/CT, microTEP/CT and soon an MRI.
- Cardiovascular exploration: telemetry, ECG, blood pressure, ischemia models
- Intravital imaging, flow cytometry and cell screening in biosafety BSL3
- Realization and development of histological and immuno-histochemical analysis techniques
- Training in Transgenesis, Cryogenic preservation, Microsurgery, experimental techniques (sample takings, anesthesia and surgery, Histology and Immunochemistry)
- Master's degree of Bioengineering, Anatomopathology (of model animals) and Vectorology
- Professional License of Physiopathology and Pharmacology of laboratory animals at Universities René Descartes (Lyon) and Joseph Fourier (Grenoble)
- Training in biology and use of laboratory animals at Veterinary National School of Toulouse (level I and II)
Transgenesis, zootechny, cryoconservation and microsurgery